Published 5 Sep 2023
What is a Management Review Template?
A management review template is a tool used to prepare, track, and document meeting points and management system review details for compliance monitoring and standard recordkeeping. Often, management review templates are used in assessing a company’s or a business’s Quality Management System (QMS), especially when preparing for certification in or maintaining compliance with the QMS standard created by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) called the ISO 9001.
In this article
- Why Use One
- What Should be Included in a Management Review Template?
- Management Review Template Example
- FAQs About Management Review Templates
- Digitizing Management Review Templates with SafetyCulture (iAuditor)
- Free Management Review Templates
Why Use One
An organization’s top management often does the management review on a regular basis. Similar to a management audit, this process ultimately aims to keep an organization’s management systems in check, ensuring that the guidelines and standards stated therein are appropriate, adequate, and effective to the needs and goals of the organization. Some examples of where this is applicable are when reviewing a Quality Management System (QMS) and an Environmental Management System (EMS).
Since the overall management review entails a complex, in-depth process, having a poor system of documentation and monitoring can lead to missed opportunities for improvement and growth. Apart from that, management reviews are ideally conducted regularly. Hence, having a standard template to use during such reviews helps keep every detail accounted for and addresses points for improvement in an organization’s management system.
What Should be Included in a Management Review Template?
The general sections that must be included in a management review template are the following:
Title or Information Page
The first part of your template should let you lay down the most basic information about the management review to be conducted. You may choose to include these details:
- General instructions
- Date of review
- Location where the review is conducted
- Attendees of the management review meeting
- General reminders
Separate Sections for Management Review Inputs
You must also include dedicated sections for the specific areas you need to review in your management system. To help you get started, these are the key parts and components you can include in your management review:
- Quality Policy
- Internal Audit Results
- Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPA)
- Needed Resources
- Employee Training Initiatives
- External Providers/Suppliers
- Quality Objectives, Data, and Goals
- Customer Feedback
- Overall QMS
- General Recommendations for Improvement
The final part of your template must allow you to finalize the management review by indicating the following details:
- Follow-ups List
- Follow-up Management Review Meeting Date
Management Review Template Example
Now that you know the most important sections and details you must include, here’s an example of the management review report template in SafetyCulture (formerly iAuditor):
FAQs About Management Review Templates
Top-level management, as well as quality managers, supervisors, and other members of leadership, can use a template during the regularly conducted management review. At least one facilitator must spearhead the meeting, while the mentioned stakeholders must be present during the management review process.
A management review template is often used when reviewing an organization’s Quality Management System (QMS). ISO 9001, the standard created by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for QMS, sets out the general and specific requirements an organization must comply with to earn an ISO 9001 certification.
To conduct an effective management review, consider doing the following steps:
- State the objectives of the review, such as assessing performance, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and recommending improvements.
- Provide background information about the management team or department under review.
- Assess the performance of the management team against predefined goals and targets.
- Identify and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the management team or department.
- Summarize the main findings from the evaluation and analysis.
- Suggest specific actions and strategies to address weaknesses and enhance strengths.
- Create an action plan outlining the steps to be taken to implement the recommended improvements.
Upon knowing the needed sections and details of a management review, these must be included in the template to be used during the meeting. Once accomplished, the template can then be exported into a PDF format and serve as a management review report.
Digitizing Management Review Templates with SafetyCulture (iAuditor)
SafetyCulture is an operations platform that enables management teams and leaders to effectively review their organizations’ management systems, their efficiency, and rooms for improvement. Using SafetyCulture, be able to do the following:
- Download and customize, as well as create templates and forms.
- Customize management review templates depending on the kind of management system you’re reviewing.
- Use sliders, multiple-choice response sets, and dropdown menus for your response sets in filling in information during management system checks and audits.
- Include text fields and number fields for short or long answers when filling in key details, such as audit findings and recommended corrective actions. You may also add photos and videos (up to 3 minutes long) of audit evidences and other supporting media documentation.
- Use the SafetyCulture Exporter and integration capability so you can export accomplished templates and audit forms into various formats like Excel and Google Sheets files.
- Automatically save completed management review templates in the cloud for secure recordkeeping toward continuous improvement efforts.
- Use Heads Up for workplace communication.
- Leverage insights and data.
- Use the Analytics dashboard to easily track the overall trends and historical performance of the organization when it comes to ensuring all quality measures and standard guidelines are not just in place but continuously monitored and practiced.
- Generate relevant reports that you can use in pinpointing and addressing recurring issues to implement preventive protocols moving forward.
Free Management Review Templates
This downloadable EMS review checklist template allows EMS managers and leaders account for all improvement and audit checks during the ISO 14001 - Environmental Management System review. Using this free template, note all audit results, environmental system performance, action plans, and objectives, among others.
Use this free ISMS review template to document information, key points, and actions identified during the ISO 27001 - Information Security Management System review. Also, account for feedback from interested parties, status of preventive and corrective actions, and results of the effectiveness measurements implemented.
Using this free internal audit checklist, you’ll be able to check if reviews for your organization’s management system are being conducted correctly and matched with the necessary courses of action. Also, the template lets you rate the key aspects of your standard management reviews to easily see if there are any areas needing attention, especially those that are rated as Major Non-conformance and Minor Non-conformance.